NuvaRing (etonogestrel/ethinyl estradiol vaginal ring) is a birth control method in the form of a flexible vaginal ring used to prevent unwanted pregnancy. You insert the NuvaRing into the vagina, and remove it yourself, much like a tampon. The way it works is similar to other oral contraceptives, by releasing low levels of hormones estrogen and progestin into your body. What makes NuvaRing stand apart from other birth control methods is its physical form (vaginal ring), and its dosage (monthly). NuvaRing is 98% effective in preventing pregnancy when used properly. NuvaRing does not protect against STDs including HIV and AIDS.
How Do I Use NuvaRing?
- Insert NuvaRing into the vagina.
- 3 weeks later, on the same day and at the same time, remove NuvaRing from the vagina.
- Your menstrual cycle will occur, giving you one week off of NuvaRing.
- After one week when your menstrual cycle is complete, insert a new NuvaRing.
Can I feel NuvaRing once it is in?
Most women do not feel the NuvaRing once it is placed correctly in the vagina. If you do feel discomfort, it is probably not placed correctly. In this case, use your finger to push the NuvaRing as far as you can into your vagina. The cervix blocks the NuvaRing from going to high, so there is no risk of the NuvaRing being pushed too far or getting lost.
During sexual intercourse, 90% of partners have reported not noticing the NuvaRing.
What are the side effects of NuvaRing
All combination hormonal birth control methods can increase the risk of blood clots. This is especially true in women who:
- Are obese
- Are over 35 years old
Other side effects may include:
- Irritation inside the vagina or cervix
- Spotting or light bleeding
- Mood changes
- NuvaRing problems, including the ring slipping out or causing discomfort
- Nausea and vomiting
- Vaginal discharge
- Weight gain
- Breast pain
- Painful menstrual periods
- Abdominal pain
- Less sexual desire
Contact your health provider if you are experiencing any of these symptoms.
For more information on NuvaRing, visit their official website.